Socks are an often overlooked piece of clothing. Modern gentlemen should always pay careful attention to their choice of socks. That said, picking the perfect pair of socks still requires some thought—there’s a fine line between looking dapper and completely missing the mark.
This is a valuable guide to help with selecting the perfect pair of socks for your outfit.
1. Do not wear thin dress socks when wearing athletic shoes and shorts.
2. If you can't find the perfect pair to match with your dress outfit, stick to black. White socks should be reserved for sports or white tuxedos, only.
3. Check your socks to ensure they fit well. You don't want them sagging.
4. Pick a color that goes back to some element of your outfit, whether its color or pattern, or has matching undertones.
5. Know how much sock to show.
6. Don't wear bright socks to solemn occasions or business events. The challenge of wearing bright socks should be left to the most brazen of gentleman. If you're unsure, stick to something conservative.
7. Know the materials and how they affect absorbency and warmth: